It is grey and cold outside. I am sneezing. It is the first day of Term 2; the Winter term. But that’s OK because this term is going to be a good term. I know it is.
How do I know? Because in my mind only good things can come from it. I’m going to write a little list below and use it as a reminder on those days when I’m tempted to hashtag my tweets with #pessimism. Here goes.
1. Today I am sharing my two favourite things to a group of my favourite people – the teachers at my school. It is Staff Development Day and our guest speaker is some guy speaking about technology in education. After him I get to run an hour-long workshop on project-learning and edmodo.
2. Starting in Week 3, my whole faculty will be using PBL to teach novels and resilience to Years 7-9. This is a cross-curricula project with PD/H/PE coordinated by my Head Teacher. The texts that have been chosen are awesome: Lockie Leonard Human Torpedo, Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and A Bridge to Wiseman’s Cove.
3. The texts I get to teach my classes this term are great. Year 12 Extension are reading Wuthering Heights and the poetry of Keats. Year 10 are reading Catcher in the Rye and Macbeth. Year 12 Standard are doing the play Cosi and the poetry of William Blake.
4. In June me and my family are heading back over to America so I can attend #ISTE12. We will spend four weeks adventuring up and down the West Coast – from Mexico to Canada.
5. My work at CLIC will be almost finished and I will get to see how other English teachers respond to the professional development courses we have created for them.
6. I’m going to run a bunch of awesome projects with all of my classes and make sure every class gets to make something they are proud of. I am also going to get them out of the school to learn once this term – even if it is just walking around the block!
I guess I better stop writing now because I want my first day to be great – and at this rate I’m going to be late.
So, how are you going to make this term awesome?